Update 5th April
I’ve posted directions to the accommodation below; website says there will be towels and linen provided; if you are doing yoga and it is handy for you, bring a mat. There are some available in the room we’ve booked but not enough for everyone. Any more questions, let me know and I’ll post the answers here. Otherwise, see you tomorrow in (hopefully) sunny Kerry.
Update 22nd March
There are no more spaces available on the trip. If you are interested in joining us and would like to go on a waiting list or would like to source your own accommodation but join the rest of us for activities, please contact us directly.
Jason, Aoife and I are organising another Kerry Easter weekend of mountain running following up on the successful ones that have been held over the last number of years. This is not a professional event but simply a trip organised by friends for friends and other mountain running enthusiasts (new friends in other words!). Usually, a great crowd of runners from IMRA will make the trip. So far this year 29 runners have signed up and we have closed registration but email us if you would like to come along as we can help with accommodation options or if you would just like to join us for the events.
When and where
Kenmare, Co. Kerry, from Friday 6th of April to Monday 9th of April
What is the accommodation
We are staying at the Inbhear Sceine Waterside holiday homes. Directions: From Limerick take the N22 to Castleisland. Continue on the N23 to Farranfore. Then take the N22 to Killarney & at the 1st roundabout turn left into the Ring road for Cork. Continue towards Cork for approx 12 miles. Turn right onto the R569 for Kenmare passing through Kilgarvan. (Guests travelling from Cork turn left onto the R569) Inbhear Sceine Holiday Homes are located on the left hand side just before the GAA pitch & Golf Club when you’re approaching Kenmare Town. There is a Dream Ireland sign at the entrance.
Alternatively, guests traveling from Killarney can take the N71 – Scenic Ring of Kerry Road to Kenmare. On approach to the town you will pass by The Kenmare Bay Hotel on your right hand side & Centra Petrol Station on your left. Keep going straight up through Kenmare town passing by Quills Woolen Mill on your left & AIB Bank on your left. Take a left out of town passing Kenmare Golf Club on your right, you will come upon Inbhear Sceine Holiday homes on the right hand side. There is a Dream Ireland sign at the entrance.
How do I register that I want to go?
Do you handle payment?
No, this will be done directly by bank transfer to us privately and not through the ChampionsEverywhere website.
Each cottage is likely to need to put in a €200 deposit on arrival, which will be refunded. The members of each house or cottage must organise this between themselves.
What’s the schedule?
Itinerary so far (subject to change) is below. We will keep updating this until the trip with more details as we confirm numbers, buses etc., so keep checking back. Once you sign up I will setup a mailing list for everyone going.
Last year, climbing and cycling were organised between the participants, we’ll help out with this on the mailing list and there are lots of other options available in the Kenmare area if you don’t fancy running throughout.
Lots of work, any play?
There’ll be plenty of social time in Kenmare each evening and rumours abound of late night festivities on last years trip, but this cannot be confirmed…
What about non-running partners?
This year there are a number of non-runners coming – some are going to hike both Carruantoohil and the Kerry Way routes; there are lots of other options in the area for activities, site-seeing, coffee shops etc. There is no compulsion on anyone to do any or all of the activities.
The e-mail group created will be circulated to all attendees. We would encourage people to car-pool as much as possible. Public transport options are also available, if you are using public transport and need to be collected get in touch and we’ll see what we can do.
15:00 – 17:30 We’ll be at our house with the keys etc. for the other houses. If you can’t make it to Kenmare in this timeframe, let us know and we’ll arrange another way to let you in. Some people may prefer to stop in Killarney for the race on their way down. This is fine, we can give you keys to your house when we all return after the race on Friday night.
17:30 Departure to Killarney (meet outside Cottage 1) – only for people doing the race unless you fancy the trip!
18:30 Race registration and number pick-up
- Kerry Parents & Friends Association, Old Monastery, Port Road, Killarney
- Warm-up or on your own or with the group (as you please)
- 19:30 The Good Friday 5 Mile Run
- 5 Mile evening road run through the streets of Killarney
- 20 euro per person register online (alternative link) or at Feet First 28 High Street Killarney Co. Kerry. For further details please contact 064-6627422.
- View route
- Last year’s results (e.g. “see if you will get a prize!”)
21:30 Return to Kenmare
- Remember pubs are closed so bring your own “entertainment” if you want a few drinks!
09:00 Morning “Natural movement” warm-up routine with René
- Meet outside
- 10 min jog warm-up, following by optional dynamic stretching
- 30 min drills (there will be little or no actual running here, consider it “a stretch”)
- 10min jog cool-down
11:00 Departure for Carrauntoohil (Kenmare Cab and Coach to pick-up at 11:00 sharp. Approx. 10 euros price per person for return trip)
12:30 Carrauntoohil race route (13k, 1137m ascent) – hike or run!
- This event may move due to weather conditions.
15-17:30 During this time the Stepping Stones will be open and ready to serve us tea and cakes while we wait for the groups to arrive.
17:30 Pickup by Kenmare Cab and Coach
18:30 Return to the holiday village
20:00 Nom Nom Cafe – privately booked for the group. Bring your own drink, no corkage fees. We will need to confirm numbers for this restaurant in advance. Price 20 euros for 2 courses; 25 for 3.
09:00 Morning jog and yoga with Suzanne Kenny from Yoga4All
- Meet outside
- 15 minute jog, 30-45 minute yoga
- Room booked for yoga in Faungorth Activity Centre – will be a charge for the room shared between participants – will need to confirm numbers in advance. Bring mats or towels if attending.
11:30 Departure for Sneem
12:30 Kerry Way Long Run – two options (Sneem to Kenmare or Blackwater Bridge to Kenmare)
- Sneem to Kenmare (30 km/18.5 mi, 510m ascent or 16.5 km/10.2 mi, 450m ascent)
- Description: “A superb day with strong coastal flavor and leafy woodland interludes, finishing with two outstandingly scenic hills”
- Please bring mobile, extra layers, rain jacket, food & fluid with you …
- Detailed route description:
- Section 1: Sneem to Blackwater Bridge – 13.5 km (8.25 mi) / 100 m climb
- Section 2: Blackwater Bridge to Templenoe – 6.5 km (4 mi) / mainly flat
- Break?: Opportunity for coffee/tea break in Templenoe! J
- Section 3: Templenoe to Kenmare (909 709) – 10km, 410 m ascent
- Total: 16.5-30km, 440-510m ascent
Alternative: Anyone wanting an even shorter run can be dropped off at Templenoe for the final 10 km run back.
16:00 Coffee shop
19:00 Restaurant (The Lime Tree) – Set Menu (33 euro pp including service charge)
10:00 – Checkout – make sure to get your deposit back from management.
11:30 – Muckross and Dinis Circuit (10 km, mainly flat trails)
- Anyone with fresher legs or spirits can do Mangerton
12:30 – Lunch at Muckross house before drive home