Thanks to everyone who attended and took the time to listen to Barry Murray and the ChampionsEverywhere team at yesterday’s talk in Great Outdoors. We have put together the most relevant links and a few of the more ‘information-hefty’ slides for you below for your reference.
Sample training week
Example of a balanced ‘running economy’ focused training week based on Phil Maffetone’s book ‘1:59’:
|Wed||60 min (potentially as a fartlek)|
|Thu||45 min/60 min (pm)|
|Fri||60 min (bit faster for better runners)|
Note this type of week is not suited for everyone but an example based on a runner who can comfortably run 6 days per week and over 2 hours – all running would be done at the the max aerobic function heart rate (roughly 140 for most runners) with some runs straying up to 160 and no anaerobic running. It takes 6 months to see good results from this type of training.
First things first
The hierarchy of needs within your body that you need to address – so if you eat well but don’t look after things further up the list you may still not get the results you want.
- Gravity -> touch the Earth!
- Sunlight -> get natural light, avoid unnatural light
- Sleep -> get the sleep you need, take naps
- Water -> make sure to hydrate properly and drink clean water
- Food -> eat natural food
- Safety and shelter -> don’t live in a constant state of threat from the environment and others
- Sex (reproduction) -> we’ll leave it up to you to figure that out!
- Social and psychological -> enjoy social time with friends, reduce stress and make sure to have some ‘playtime’
- Spiritual -> The search for meaning, connection with others and nature, purpose in life, self-actualisation and other higher needs
Further reading – books
This list is by no means comprehensive but includes books that will give a wide picture of the latest in nutrition, exercise and lifestyle.
Anti-fragile – things that gain from disorder by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Athletics how to become a champion by Percy Wells Cerutty
Be fit or be damned by Percy Well Cerutty
Born to Run by Christopher McDougall
Earthing – the most important health discovery ever? by Clinton Ober (free online audio book)
Lights out– Sleep, Sugar and Survival by TS Wiley
Healthy Intelligent Training – The Proven Principles of Arthur Lydiard – Keith Livingstone
(Email us if interested in buying an author signed copy for €15)
Proprioception – Making sense of barefoot running by Lee Saxby (free ebook download)
Return to life through Contrology by Joseph Pilates
Running with Lydiard by Arthur L. Lydiard
(Email us if interested in old Lydiard books as we keep some out of print titles in stock)
Secrets of Russian Sports and Fitness Training (Shock method) – Dr Michael Yessis
Running free – a runners journey back to nature by Richard Askwith
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Jeff Volek
The Body Electric by Robert O. Becker
The Complete guide to Bodyweight training by Kesh Patel
The Human Zoo by Desmond Morris
The Paleo Answer by Loren Cordain
The Practice of Natural Movement: Reclaim Power Health and Freedom by Erwan le Corre
The Running Revolution: How to Run Faster, Farther, and Injury-Free For Life by Dr Nicholas Romanov
Waterlogged- the serious problem of overhydration in endurance sports by Timothy Noakes
Why we get sick – the new science of Darwinian Medicine by Randolph E. Nesse and George Williams
Why Zebras don’t get ulcers – the acclaimed guide to stress, stress-related diseases and coping by Robert Sapolsky
OptimumNutrition4Sport – Barry Murray’s webpage
Lydiard Foundation: www.lydiardfoundation.org
Just Move – Interview with Ido Portal on London Real
Mark Allen and how he used training focused on running economy (Mark Allen is a champion Ironman)
Re-wilding Yourself (Tedx Talk in Tallaght by Wild Fitness owner Tara Woods)
‘The Workout the World Forgot’ – MovNat highlights!
Product and tool examples
VivoBarefoot technical footwear (use our discount code ‘CUKR3D1753 ‘ for 20% off)
Special offer (talk attendees only)
Sign-up for our next ‘Running Form’ workshop – simply book below. Make sure you provide contact details so we can get in touch with you. If you cannot make this one, join us on 28th/29th of November.
Sign up for 2-day workshop (27th/28th September)
Sign up for 1-day workshop (27th September)
Latest posts by CE Staff (see all)
- PREVIEW: Primal Athlete/Running workshop – Barry Murray explains what you can expect - September 25, 2014
- Improving running economy through nutrition and lifestyle – information sheet - September 9, 2014
- Why train with bodyweight? - August 9, 2014
- Our Running Workshops reviewed! - July 2, 2014
- Natural workout sample – Gate Protocol #1 - August 13, 2013